For tips to follow when driving→
Being in traffic can be challenging. Be safe — follow the rules of the road.
- Be visible! Use lights, reflectors and a bell. Wear bright clothing.
- Helmets save lives and are required by law for those under 18. Bike helmets should be replaced after five years or a crash where the cyclist has hit their head.
- Adjust your helmet using the 2V1 rule — your helmet should be no more than 2 fingers from eyebrows, straps come to a V under each ear, and 1 finger space under chin strap.
- Plan your route — consider avoiding high-traffic roads without paved shoulders.
- A fun and safe cycling experience starts with a properly equipped bicycle. Check your tire pressure and brakes before starting out, and consider carrying a repair kit and first-aid kit.
- Obey signage — behaving like a car makes you predictable.
- Ride on the right side of the road — cyclists are required to go with the direction of traffic.
- Ride up to 1 metre from the curb and parked cars.
- Change and merge lanes as needed — look and signal before you act.
- In Lanark County, only children are allowed to ride on the sidewalk.