- Mississippi Mills is a Bronze level provincially designated Bicycle Friendly Community
- In June at a few of our local schools children learned about bike safety via bike rodeos coordinated in cooperation with Public Health and the OPP
- Carleton Place recently hosted the 4th annual Eastern Ontario Active Transportation Summit. The first such summit was in Almonte. Communities from across Lanark County and further attended. All these communities are building cycle safety and tourism into their strategic economic development plans
- Lanark County Economic Development Committee approved an Active Transportation Plan for Lanark County on June 21, 2017
- Cycle safety and sharing the road safely are ongoing concerns in our communities. Cyclists have rules they must abide, as do motorists
- An April 2017 CBC news article states 38% of people in Ontario cycle – most common group are preteen to 14 year olds
- Mississippi Mills has a Right Bike bike rental program at the Almonte Old Town Hall, try it out!
Bicycle Month in Mississippi Mills has wrapped up for another year, but cyclist and motorist “share the road” education is ongoing.
Mississippi Mills Bicycle Month, in association with the Municipality of Mississippi Mills and Share the Road, produced the following 2-sided flyer, full of safety tips and share the road rules. Look for the flyer around Mississippi Mills.
Also, a few updates and facts about cycling in our municipality and in general:
And these two cycle/motorist videos produced by Share the Road are both well done and further road safety education.
“Freedom to my parents meant having a car. Freedom to my kids is not being dependent on a car,”
RT Rybak (Mayor of Minneapolis 2001-2014)
Be respectful. Stay safe.